Tripura Student Death: Father Alleges Police Lapse
- By Thetripurapost Desk, New Delhi
- Apr 22, 2026
- 52
The father of a 24-year-old student from Tripura who died after an alleged racial assault in Dehradun has accused the Uttarakhand Police of inaction, claiming the main accused remains at large even four months after the incident.
Tarun Prasad Chakma, a head constable with the Border Security Force, said his son Anjel Chakma was attacked on December 9, 2025, in the Selaqui area after objecting to racial slurs directed at him and his younger brother. He succumbed to his injuries on December 26.
Chakma alleged delays in the investigation, stating that the prime accused is believed to have fled to Nepal, with no clear progress in tracking him. He also claimed the FIR was registered only after intervention by a Member of Parliament and raised concerns over possible collusion by local authorities.
The main accused, Yagyaraj Awasthi from Kanchanpur in Nepal, allegedly escaped across the border after the attack. So far, police have arrested five of the six accused, including two minors.
Officials said a lookout circular was issued in January, and a Blue Corner notice has been initiated to trace the accused internationally. Efforts are also underway to issue a Red Corner notice.
Chakma, currently posted in Sipahijala, said his son was a promising student who had secured an MBA placement with an annual package of ₹12 lakh and was set to begin his internship on December 27.
“I served in the BSF for 30 years to educate him. He had a bright future ahead, but he never got the chance,” he said, adding that his younger son, who studies in Uttarakhand, remains deeply traumatised.
The family has received ₹8.25 lakh in compensation from the Social Welfare Department, while investigations continue.