The Supreme Court on Wednesday lifted the central government’s ban on Malayalam news channel.
The Supreme Court said – Criticism of the policies and steps of the government cannot be called anti-national.
The bench of Chief Justice DY Chandrachud overturned the decision of the Kerala High Court. The High Court had upheld the decision in which the Center had banned the broadcast of the channel due to security reasons.
The news channel had filed a petition against this in the Supreme Court.
5 important comments of the Supreme Court after the decision
1. On the petition of Media One News Channel, the Supreme Court told the Central Government that claims regarding national security should not be made without any basis. There should be strong facts behind it.
2. CJI Chandrachud said- There is nothing that proves terrorist link. There is no material to prove that national security or law and order has been affected.
3. He said, “Not all investigation reports can be called intelligence. It affects the rights and freedom of the people. The government cannot be completely freed from making information public.”
4. The court said- The issue of national security cannot be raised to take away the rights of the people. The Home Ministry has arbitrarily raised this issue in this matter. We cannot allow the government to take such a step that the press will support it at all costs. Criticism of the government cannot be a right to cancel the license of a TV channel.
5. Court said- Freedom of press is necessary for the democratic country to run smoothly. Its role is very important in a democratic society. It throws light on the functioning of the country.