Mobile internet services have been banned again in Manipur amid protests over the brutal murder of two minors. This ban will remain in effect till Sunday.
The state government had recently lifted the ban on internet services that had been in place for five months following violent incidents between two tribes.
More than 175 people have died in the conflict between Meitei and Kuki communities in this north-eastern state. While hundreds of people are injured.
Earlier, hundreds of students took to the streets in the capital Imphal on Tuesday to protest against the brutal murder of two minor students.
They tried to march towards the residence of Chief Minister N Biren Singh, after which security forces fired tear gas shells to disperse the crowd. Many students were injured in this chaos.
There has been an uproar after pictures of dead bodies of two students went viral on social media when mobile internet was restored in the state after almost five months of ban.
Sources have said that the allegations of rape before the murder of the minor are also being investigated. In July, the two were seen in CCTV footage, but could not be traced at that time.
The young boy’s parents condemned the inhumane killings. The father said, “What was my son or daughter’s fault that they were murdered? They didn’t harm anyone. They were just roaming around. Killing in cold blood is inhumane.”
Both the children were going on a bike after the curfew (imposed due to caste violence) was relaxed, it is believed that they were kidnapped.
The case sparked outrage and many people raised questions as to why the police were not able to trace the killers.
Meanwhile, the Manipur government has asked people to exercise restraint and allow authorities to investigate the kidnapping and murder of the duo.
In a statement issued by Chief Minister N Biren Singh’s secretariat late on Monday night, the state government said the case has already been handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).